7 Essential Decisions for Choosing Your CollegeDetermining which college you will attend is a big decision. It's important to find an institution that
will meet all of your academic needs and that will provide you with the skills you will need to enter the
work world. You will also have to consider the costs of each college you are considering in order to get
the best educational bang for your buck.
1. Decide which aspect of college life is most important to you. Are you looking for a particular degree
or major? Do you want to attend school at a specific location? How much do you want to spend on
your degree? You will need to answer these types of questions in order to refine your search.
2. Make a list of all of your strengths and interests. Add to your list all of the career options that fit with
3. Talk to your family and friends about your plans for college. They will be able to provide you with
extra guidance through this process.
4. Contact the admissions offices of all of the colleges you would like to consider. Ask to have a
college catalog sent to you. You can also research these institutions online. Check to see if they offer
the type of degree you want. Take a look at the costs involved in attending the college as well.
6. Once you gathered all of the information you need, make a list of the top five colleges choices.
Contact each college and schedule an appointment for a visit to each campus. Include an appointment
with the administration of the department that you want to study. Check into the available financial
assistance provided by each institution.
7. When you have completed all of your research, create a chart that lists the advantages and
disadvantages of each of the colleges that you are considering. Compare the five colleges and decide
which of the institutions is best for your situation.